Introduction to Professional Development
The dynamic nature of the market situations with the changing economic environment induces the business organizations and the individuals working in the company to come with the efficiency and proficiency in the skills. Individuals seeks to develop their talents and skills in the continuous process adopting various methods and measures to fit in the organizational standards set by the prof
This also enables them to establish the prominent position in the market place. The report is prepared to elucidate the methods of self managed learning and its benefits to the organization and individuals. Further, it throws light on the methods to identify the current competencies and future needs of an individual to establish in the volatile market and the personal development plan is prepared to enhance the skills.
1.1 Approaches To Self Managed Learning
In order to make the strong presence in the market, an individual takes an initiative. The self managed learning is the systematic and the planned way of acquisition of knowledge and talents in the supervision of the expertise and the specialists. Different approaches is adopted to pursue the process (Malm, 2009). It involves the step by step method as mentioned below.
- Initiation : With the willingness and realization of the need of the up-gradation of the skills and talents initiates an individual to proceed with this systematic and planned manner of acquisition of skills.
- Target and goal setting : With the analysis of the current personality traits, the clear goals and targets are determined.
- Aims and requirements : With the above analysis, the future development needs are realized and accordingly the personal development plan is prepared within the decided time frames. The methods and approaches are decided with the help of the expertise and the specialist in the field (Day and et.al, 2006).
- Implementation : The plan developed and the development opportunities identified are then processed to achieve the targets.
- Self reflection : An individual also process the information from the surroundings. Self reflection is the process of articulating the rationale of own practices.
1.2 Identifying Learning Methods, Encouraging Life Long Learning And Benefits Of Self Managed Learning
To imbibe the certain qualities in the personality and for the acquisition of knowledge and skills faced paced learning process contribute significantly. There are certain methods and process which helps to identify the learning styles which an individual uses to process the information (Stenfors-Hayes and et.al, 2010). I have used VARK learning style method for the purpose. This method with the help of a questionnaire and the score card, helps to know the which sensory modalities is used to process the information. The VARK learning style identification process is attributed to work conducted by Peter Fleming (1992).
|Read and write||10|
By answering 40 questions in the questionnaire and prior experiences, analysis has been made. According to which Kinesthetic approach and reading and writing approach get the top most preference. While achieving academic credentials as well, two ways has helped in in understanding the concepts more accurately are converting theories into action such as I have lead the team in which we were supposed to present the models and plans taught in lectures through applying it, in that process my learning got enhanced in significant way. Further, my emphasis was always on thorough and in depth understanding of any subject for that purpose I always prefer to refer authentic books and journals. Hence, reading and writing has been the effectual and helpful approach till now in my learning process.
Methods To Encourage The Life Long Learning Process
Learning is the continuous process which an individual practices throughout the life. This became the effectual process to enhance the efficiency and the abilities of an individual to fulfill the aspirations and desires in the personal life and to acquire the competencies in the professional lives (Etherington, 2004). There are various ways through which it can be encouraged in the significant manner.
The fundamental method which helps in the acquisition of the skills and knowledge is formal means of coaching in the schools and colleges. Education at school level creates the foundation of knowledge and information.
Higher degree courses
To acquire the technical knowledge in the particular field can be attained through higher degree courses. Government also supports students to pursue this. For instance, Credit accumulation and transfer schemes issued by the UK government helps to bridge for the higher professional courses (Moon, 2013). I have also undergone 2 years HND course in business which has developed skills in me to consolidate larger stream of customers with organization.
Seminars and conferences
Attending seminars and conferences helps to acquaint with the advanced technology and upgraded world. This gives exposure with the world of better knowledge and skills (Rees, Shepherd and Chamberlain, 2005). Attending seminars and conferences has enabled me to improve my communication and interacting skills. It has developed my critical thinking skills.
The organizations understands the need to increase the knowledge and skills of employees to make them fit in the volatile and improving market conditions. For that purpose they conduct training programs and development sessions. In training and apprenticeships at job I have learned advanced techniques and technology used in my field of work. Further, it has developed my interpersonal skills such as decision making and leadership qualities.
Surroundings and self reflection
An individual takes decision and learns from his prior learning and experiences. The adaptability of personality in different situations enables to learn in many ways.
Benefits Of Self Managed Learning To The Individual And Organization
- The initiative taken by an individual to acquire know and skills in the planned manner and systematic manner helps to fit in the professional standards (Glazer and Hannafin, 2006).
- With the help of the expertise and the specialists in the field, the individuals brings better learning as the guide to adopting the recommended structured opportunities.
- Person pursuing personal and professional development plan is endowed with wide range of qualities are skilled to compete with the professional standards. An individual processing these methods is able to bring adaptability with the volatile market situation in better way.
To an organization
- It helps the organization to hire the employees with the better proficiency and the capabilities that required in the organization to perform various task and fulfill duties.
- It reduces the cost of training as with the hiring of skilled labor the management's task of enhancing their skills reduces. They already possess the skills that helps them to adapt with the organization's rules, values, principals and the operational management.
- The entry of skilled labor and employees, brings innovative and creative ideas to process the tasks and duties. Further, the better and resourceful methods' comes to resolve the problems and issues (Wilson, 2004).
- The organizations realize the importance of the self managed learning and encourages processing among the employees. The adoption of this planned and systematic technique helps to earn more profitability by increasing the productivity of the employees.
Self managed learning has been benefiting the individual and organization on wider scale.
2.1 Skills Require Meeting The Organizational Goals And Objectives
I am an associate degree holder in the marketing management. I aspire to pursue my career in marketing as the marketing manager in travel and tourism sector. To comply with the professional regulatory organizations, certain competencies are required to be enhanced. To facilitate the employability in travel and tourism sector, the following skills and attributes are needed to be posses (Loucks-Horsley and et.al, 2009).
- Proficiency in the verbal and written communication skills.
- The intimate knowledge of the marketing principals and their applicability.
- Leadership skills.
- Decision making skills
- Technological knowledge
- Planning and organizing
- Time management.
By scrutinizing my current personality traits, I have identified that I possess strong decision making skills, good planning and organizing and also acquainted with the leadership qualities (Alsup, 2006). I have also inferred that to enhance the career progression and to improve the professional competence, I need to improve my technical knowledge of marketing principles and their applicability, imbibe technological advancements in my processes and also bring proficiency in the effective communication.
2.2 Personal And Professional Development Needs
Marketing manager at travel and tourism is endowed with the slew of duties and responsibilities. To practices this efficiently, there are certain qualities that are needed to be possessed. To identify the personal and professional needs, I have performed the SWOT analysis (Meijer, Morine-Dershimer and Tillema, 2005).
- Strengths : Good leadership skills, decision making and better planning and organizing of the tasks and duties assigned are my strengths.
- Weakness : Less acquaintance with the technological advancements and communication skills below the benchmark set by the organization are my weakness.
- Opportunities : Working in the travel and tourism sector gives imminence opportunity to enhance the skills and upgrade the persona to establish the prominent position in the market place. Further, the training programs, development sessions, apprenticeships, seminars and conferences in the sector gives exposure to the employees with better and advanced world and it also creates opportunities for career advancements.
- Threats : The organizations working in the travel and tourism industry works with the high degree of standards and it employee the applicants with higher proficiency and adaptability with the profession. To sustain and survive, individuals are required to come up with better skills and talents (Webster-Wright, 2009).
2.3 Development Opportunities To Meet The Current And Future Needs
In order to escalate the skills and proficiency in the above described competencies, the following are the development opportunities. Through this the current and future needs can be met.
- Communication Skills : Communication skills can be improved by joining the professional degree course in the verbal and the written communication skills. Further, by increasing the intensity of reading books and engaging more in the group discussions increases the quality of communication and brings proficiency. Attending CIPR internal communication diploma makes communication effective and improving public relations.
- Marketing Skills : The technical knowledge of marketing principles can be enhanced through the higher degree courses. Further, with the practical use of models and mixes in the real projects under the guidance of senior managers and specialists in the field better understanding can be gained. For the enhancement of marketing skills, attending diploma in professional marketing is beneficial as it teaches different ways to adopt strategies and apply it in pragmatic manner.
- Technological Advancements : Recognized as the era of information technology, technology is improving with the fast pace. To be equipped with such advancements, the research and the better connectivity with the sources will help (Penuel and et.al, 2007).
3.1 Work Based Problem In An Organization
The sector I am aspiring to work in the travel and the tourism sector operates by adopting the integrated model that is operates with the vertical and horizontal integration with the other organization working in the similar or the contributing organizations. Allocation of work among the different group and teams is the effective criteria adopted by the tour operators adopt in the industry (Desimone, 2009). But the manager endowed with the slew of duties and responsibilities encounter so many works based problems. One such problem the organization faces is the ineffective team management.
The identified learning style can be implemented to resolve the identified issue in the following manner (Brinkerl, 2006).
- The kinesthetic approach helps in resolving the issue in the considerable manner. That is the adoption of the different models and techniques to make the effective management and bring the attitude of team work among the members.
- The learning style helps to identify the strengths and weakness of the employees working in the organization. This enables the manager to assign them the duties and tasks as per their field of work which brings the better productivity to the organization.
- Adopting the different approaches the manager enables them to learn the different techniques and abreast the new technology in the process of working which further trickles down to increase the profitability of the organization.
3.2 Different Ways To Communication
In an organization, the employees functions at different levels of stratum. The continuous communication between the different levels helps the organization with perfect feasibility. Different methods of the techniques are adopted to communicate at different levels. This is categorized in the following manner (Hunzicker, 2011).
- Strategic : At this level there is the board of directors who frame strategies and policies to function and is delivered to the subordinate levels for the implementation and execution. The managers at this level are endowed with so much of pressure of work and responsibilities hence have limited time to go through every detail. At this level the communication is formal and verbal in the form of presentations and oral dictation.
- Tactical : The administrative level of the organization where the execution of strategies framed is done. The delivery of orders from the upper level is in the form of both verbal and written communication. This includes the formal communication but between the horizontal levels of employees there is informal communication (Clark and Harmer, 2006).
- Operational : The very subordinate level of organization is the organizational level. At this level the communication is done informally in the verbal manner. At this level training is also conducted that is through seminars and conferences.
Learning styles such as VARK model and Honey and Mumford model helps to identify the strengths of employees and accordingly they are assigned their task and duties.
3.3 Effective Time Management And Strategies
The responsibilities of so much of work to the manager sometimes bring the haphazard way of management. To pursue the work in the smooth and effectual manner there are certain strategies and ways to be adopted. The implementation and execution of the stragies can be done in the following manner.
- Planning effectively : To manage the slew of works and tasks in the hassle free manner, the planning of the tasks and work is very crucial. For that purpose, with the use of the resourceful planning tool the management of work and task can be done. Such as using the electronic planner helps the organi9sation to manage the work.
- Prioritizing : arranging and executing the tasks as per the priority and the importance enables the hassle free working and the functioning. As per the preferences and the importance the numbering of the task is assigned. Arranging the time frames is also kept in consideration (Professional and personal development, 2013).
- Stopping procrastination : The delaying of the tasks and work for tomorrow creates the clutter of work of the organization and manager. By avoiding the delays in work and procrastination the work can be executed smoothly.
Among the above mentioned methods using planning tool is the appropriate method as it is a comprehensive way to manage time. With the proper use of this time can be managed in lucrative manner.
With the above report prepared in can be inferred that the development plan helps to enhance the skills and efficiency in the systematic and planned manner by building the development plan. Through different models learning style has been identified to speed the pace of learning. Further, development plan helps in acquiring other required attributes and skills.
- Alsup, J., 2006.Teacher identity discourses: Negotiating personal and professional spaces. Routledge.
- Avalos, B., 2011. Teacher professional development in Teaching and Teacher Education over ten years.Teaching and teacher education.27(1). pp.10-20.
- Brinkerhoff, J., 2006. Effects of a long-duration, professional development academy on technology skills, computer self-efficacy, and technology integration beliefs and practices.Journal of Research on Technology in Education.39(1). pp.22-43.
- Clark Callister, L. and Harmer Cox, A., 2006. Opening our hearts and minds: The meaning of international clinical nursing electives in the personal and professional lives of nurses.Nursing & health sciences.8(2). pp.95-102.
- Day, C. and et.al., P., 2006. The personal and professional selves of teachers: stable and unstable identities.British educational research journal.32(4). pp.601-616.
- Desimone, L.M., 2009. Improving impact studies of teachers’ professional development: Toward better conceptualizations and measures.Educational researcher.38(3). pp.181-199.
- Etherington, K., 2004. Heuristic research as a vehicle for personal and professional development.Counselling and Psychotheraphy Research.4(2). pp.48-63.