Impact of Leadership and Management
1666 Downloads 17 Pages 4278 Words
Recruitment and selection is an important part of the organization where in manager gives right opportunity to right person for the particular job. In order to work with different people, it is essential for the manager to develop varied skills and abilities and most of the important attributes are discussed in the present research study. The subsequent research has been made on The Purple Mail Company which is one of the largest courier firms in UK (Bose, 2002). However, currently the company is having problems related to leadership and administration aspects; thus to resolve such issues, researcher has discussed several solutions as well. Further, discussion has also been made regarding difference between leadership and management aspects and along with that, researcher has stated the effectiveness of team work in achieving organizational aims and objectives. Lastly, researcher has discussed impacts of different leadership styles on team work of PM Company.
1.1 Prepare the documentation of selection and recruitment process and the documents required when selecting new staff for PM Company
In order to select and recruit new talent, it is vital for the manager of PM Company to emphasize on adequate recruitment process where in qualifications and eligibility should be considered at the top priority (Lobel, 1997). Leadership, administrative and management related problems have been arising at PM Company; therefore while recruiting new people, managers of PM Company should consider legal and regulatory aspects into account. Employee attrition ratio has been increasing in the company; therefore the managers should emphasize more on employee retention. In the recruitment process, chief emphasis should be given towards those employees who wants to stay in the business entity for longer time span (Hayes, 2002).
Since, recruitment process of the company is considered as poor; therefore eligibility and experience level of candidates should be considered the most. Thus, the managers of PM Company will needs to develop a formal procedure for recruitment where in several questions related to the job profiles should be asked from the candidates (Stirling and Fitzgerald, 2001). Moreover, importance should be given to capabilities, skills and potential of employees so that they can contribute in organizational growth and productivity (Kimmel, 1994). Only relevant questions should be asked from the candidates during the interview session so that to make the session highly relevant.
Selection process of PM company
- At the initial stage, the company advertises the vacant job and along with that it also advertises the roles and responsibilities for the specific job profile.
- Afterwards, job advertisement, PM company scrutinizes all the applications and according to that desirable candidates are called for interview sessions.
- Interview is conducted at this stage where the manager also analyze skills, ability and experience level of candidates.
- Afterwards interview session, PM Company describes job roles and responsibilities and according to that, managers determine who will be selected for the respective job profile.
- The management also emphasizes on person specification where in only experienced and talented workforce are given preference for selection.
- The application process is legally concerned in which each and every aspect should be authentic and legal.
1.2 Assess the impact of legal, regulatory and ethical considerations to the recruitment and selection process for the PM Company
It is essential for PM Company to consider ethical and legal consideration while recruiting people and the main focus should be given towards fair and justified selection. In terms of legal aspects, PM Company has to consider these aspects while selecting new candidates:
- The process should be non-discriminated where in the company should select candidates on the basis of eligibility and qualifications. Further, first preference should be given to the eligibility and qualities of the candidates so that they can take interest in working with the company (Amabile, 2003).
- At the next stage, it is also essential for the manager to ask only relevant questions in the interview and all such questions should be related to legal code of conduct. Thus, the person should be judged on the basis of all the qualifications and eligibility aspects (Pors and Johannsen. 2002).
- While conducting the interview session, it is mandatory for the manager to provide justified and fair treatment to the candidate so that to improve the level of morale. Discrimination should not exist in any of the stage so that because that might impact the interest of candidate (Brezina, 2008).
- While selecting the final candidate, it is essential for PM Company to consider employment and contract act so that all the requisite things can be included in the existing process.
- The existing process of selection should be biased free where in importance should be given to skills of all the candidates. Experience and capabilities of the employees should be recognized so that selection can be made on suitable manner.
- While recruiting the candidates, PM Company should consider all the Pay Acts so that remuneration, incentives and salaries should be determined for the candidates.
- The process of recruitment should be ethical and legal and that should not harm the interest of candidates from any point.
1.3 Take part in the selection process
- I have been working at PM Company and I have also participated in selection and recruitment process and therein I always made sure that only potential and skilled talents are getting recruited (Pors and Johannsen. 2002). I also emphasized on quality aspects in which I gave chief concern towards skills and qualities of the candidates.
- I participated in the process with all three major recruiters of PM Company such as HR Manager, Project head and Team leaders. I have seen many changes in the selection process and therein I have observed that the company gives preference to only experienced and talented candidates (Grahamand March. 1994).
- I also made sure that medical and written test are conducted for the candidates so that people who are medically fit can be selected. This helped in managing all the work processes in adequate manner.
- Further, I also made sure that the procedure is properly managed as per the interest of the candidate. At the same time, during interview session, I have observed experience and confidence level of candidates because they might be having probabilities to deal with customer issues (Hayes, 2002).
1.4 Evaluate your contribution to the selection process in the organization
In terms of my contribution in the selection process, I made sure that I am giving preference to candidate's skills and eligibility aspects so that to select only skilled people. I have emphasized on adequate recruitment where in I communicated directly with the candidates so that I can analyze all their skills and attributes. At the same time, I focused on legal procedure and I gave equal chance to all the candidates. This improved their motivation level and at the same time, they have also recommended the profile to other candidates (Wyk and Erasmus, 2003). Moreover, as per my job roles and responsibilities, I have participated equally in interview session where in I have asked questions related to strengths of the candidates and reasons behind their interest in joining the organization. I scrutinized all the applications and according to that I made decision related to selection of the candidate (Amour and et.al, 2003). Further, I also made sure that all the candidates that are selected are skilled and experience and have adequate knowledge regarding the work processes. Hence, these are the major roles that I have performed while managing recruitment and selection process.
2.1 Skills and attributes needed for leadership
In order to become an efficient leader, it is vital for the candidate to develop several skills and abilities. Here, chief emphasis should be given towards leading and managing power because that comes under the major responsibilities of a leader (Serafin, 2011). In the below mentioned section, several skills and abilities are discussed that are vital for the leader to acquire.
- Leading and managing ability: Leader must be capable in terms of managing and leading all the organizational aspects and he should have the capability to delegate duties and responsibilities in prominent manner. At the same time, it is also essential for the leader to have conflict management skills so that issues and problems can be minimized at workplace (Brody, 2005).
- Ability to delegate duties properly: Further, leader must have the ability to delegate duties and authorities so that adequate work should be delivered to the subordinates. This will assist them to play all their roles and responsibilities in appropriate manner. Proper delegation will help the leader to achieve all the goals and objectives (Wright and et.al, 2013).
- Influencing ability: Leader must have convincing ability so that he can influence others also to get the work done as soon as possible. At the same time, leader must be a flexible personality so that he can get ready to make certain adjustments while performing diverse roles and responsibilities (Margerison, 2009).
2.2 Difference between leadership and management
Leadership and management both are regarded as the chief aspects of the business entity and both the terms are also useful for PM Company because through this, they manage diversified people of the organization. Leadership is the part of management in which management of PM Company selects talented employee as a leader who is entitled to manage the entire team. Leadership means the ability of an individual to influence, motivate and enable others to contribute in organizational success and growth through involving all the respective team members (Latham, 2007).
On the other hand, management means to control and manage all the processes as per the specified organizational standards. Considering the views of diverse authors, management is the process of directing and controlling a group of one or more people and it also includes coordinating and harmonizing the employees towards organizational work processes so that they can contribute in acquiring aims and objectives (Lobel, 1997). The concept of leadership is typically people oriented as in such approach, leader chiefly focuses on individual employee interest; contrary to this, the concept of management is task oriented in which the management directs employees to work as per the specified directions.
2.3 Compare the different leadership styles for different situations
- Autocratic leadership style: Autocratic style is the one in which leader do not get opinion and advice from others and subordinates have to consider only the directions given by the leader. At the same time, this style is also suitable in terms of maintaining disciplinary actions in the organization by following stern actions (Waltz, 2009). With the help of autocratic style, leader of PM Company will be able to reach towards all the goals and objectives. Autocratic leadership style is also useful in the situation where new processes are introduced in the business entities for informing the employees about organizational practices.
- Democratic leadership style: In such style, leaders allocate roles and responsibilities prominently to all the employees so that they can manage their work processes. This is considered as the most effective style through which interest of all the employees can be maintained and retained (Pors and Johannsen. 2002). As per the style, employees are also allowed to participate in decision making process and as a result this enhances their interaction with all the other people. Democratic style can be used in the situation where in leaders desire to facilitate more interaction among the employees. The style is also useful in acquiring information about employee perception towards organizational leadership.
- Laissez faire leadership style: In Laissez faire leadership style, leaders usually involve all the employees and organizational members in decision making system. However, leader stays out of organizational affairs and they transfer all their authorities to the subordinates. Therefore, leaders do not make any policies; however it allows group members to take their own decision (Margerison, 2009). The subsequent style can be used in the situation where leaders wants to delegate the entire authority among the followers.
2.4 Explain ways to motivate staff to achieve objectives for the chosen scenario
There are many ways through which leaders and managers of PM Company can encourage and motivate the staff members; however the major sources can be categorized into monetary and non monetary sources. In the below mentioned section, several methods are discussed through which the manager and leader of PM Company can encourage the staff members:
- One of the most crucial aspect of employee motivation is to deliver monetary benefits to the employees so that they can get ready to work with the organization for as long as they can.
- Further, non monetary is also the other category through which employees can be motivated. Appreciation, recognition and achievements are the best aspects through which morale of the employees can be boosted. At the same time, theoretical aspects can also be applied to employee motivation (Stirling and Fitzgerald, 2001).
- The management of PM Company should consider employee interest in all the processes and they should be involved in all organizational processes. Further, the management should always maintain direct contact with the employees so that issues and constraints can be avoided (Grahamand March, 1994).
- PM Company must have to resolve conflicts and grievances in proper manner so that work processes can be managed in adequate manner. This is another method through which employee motivation can be managed (Management Theories. 2013).
- Employees can be motivated through involving them in decision making process and also giving them the opportunity to raise their opinion in organizational matters. Further, the management should also emphasize on employee retention aspects.
- Managers and leaders should make sure that they are developing prominent relationships with each other. This aids in building trust level among the employees; hence this is effective for employee encouragement and motivation.
- Open door policy should be developed at the workplace in which suggestions of the employees should be recommended and should be implemented regularly.
- Sources of higher achievement should be given to the employees in terms of recognition and appraisals.
3.1 Benefits of team- working for PM Company and review the effectiveness of the team in achieving the goals
- Develops confidence in the team members: It is essential for the leader to recognize the performance of all the team mates as this encourages the employees to work with full dedication.
- Helps in increasing organizational productivity: For the purpose of acquiring long term sustainability, it is required for the leader to increase the productivity of the organization and for that work can be divided in the team and this is also another source of achieving competitive advantage (Serafin, 2011).
- More solutions to the problem: Numerous solutions can be derived from all the team members during the time when they work in a team. Conflicts should be resolved at the initial stage so that it does not harm the smooth running of an organization.
- Helps to create more resources: Efficient leader can help the organization to allot and also to create resources for the organizational purposes (Wyk and Erasmus, 2003). Working in a team can assist the organization to utilize all the resources in appropriate manner.
3.2 Importance of working in a team as a leader and members towards specific goals. Deal with conflict or difficult situations
Leader has to work prominently as per the directions of the organization and he is also required to delegate duties specifically to the employees so that all can contribute in acquiring organizational aims and objectives. It is essential for the leader as well as for the followers to conduct all the roles and responsibilities as per the given directions. There should be direct coordination among the leader and all the followers so that they can create better opportunities for growth and success. When people work in a team, they face numerous issues due to difference in opinion and sometimes it creates issues in the organization. This also generates situations of conflicts; thus to manage the work more appropriately, it is vital for the team to communicate things in suitable manner (Wright and et.al, 2013). In order to reach towards organizational goals, it is vital for the manager and leader to manage all the issues and conflicts in legal and appropriate way so that organizational productivity can be encouraged. Hence, to deal with conflicts and organizational issues, leader must emphasize on specific procedure since through that only, he would be able to take proper decisions for the business entity (Brezina, 2008).
3.3 Effectiveness of the team in achieving the goals
Team work is also considered as effective for PM Company because through that, complexities and problems can be shared and through that, organizational work processes can be completed in limited time period. Teams are effective at PM Company because through that, people share their roles and responsibilities and it also aids them to contribute more in organizational growth perspectives. Further, with the help of team work, employees of PM Company can share the locations and according to that, they can deliver couriers to the respective customers (Amour and et.al, 2003). Thus, team work is more efficient as compared to individual work Nonetheless, the effectiveness of team work can be identified by observing how much the teams are able to motivate other employees towards better productivity. With the help of proper team, work load can be managed; however for leader, it is essential to give equal importance to all the team mates (Amabile, 2003).
Team work efficiency increases through regular team meetings where in team members discuss several things regarding development of each team member. This is also suitable for developing interaction among team players. Team meetings also assists people in identifying the areas of improvements. Strengths and weaknesses of team can also be found out from team meetings. Progress reports should also be developed where in performance of team members should be evaluated regularly. Such reports are useful in ascertaining capability of team and team members. This will assist in facilitating improvements and modifications. Feedback collection from the team members assists in enhancing productivity of team members and through this, conflicts among the team can also be identified.
4.1 Important factors involved in planning and monitoring and assessment of work performance at PM Company
In order to monitor and access the performance of the organization, it is essential for PM Company to set several standards and parameters so that accordingly, evaluation can be made. Further, employee capability needs to be measured so that their ability in contributing in organizational aims and objectives can be analyzed. The perfection level of employees can be measured through measuring and comparing their actual performance with the expected performance. Monitoring process can be conducted by the managers of PM Company in which they have to closely observe each and everything (Hayes, 2002). Moreover, in order to identify the areas of improvements actual and defined standards can be compared with each other. Currently, PM Company observes those employees who frequently attends multiple training session and who also gives positive response towards company's diverse work processes (Kimmel, 1994).
In addition to it, there are several other factors that need to be taken into account such as:
- KPI: Key performance indicators assist in providing information regarding all the functions that are contributing positively towards the process of business. However, KPIs are integral part and helps in monitoring the performance of entire business effectively and appropriately.
- Past performance reports: These are the financial statement which needs to assessed appropriately so that managers can identity all those areas which need to be taken care of so that potential measures can be employed to the performance of area and generate desired results.
- Staff characteristics: Managers of PM Company have the duty to analyse and evaluate the characteristics of the staff members so that their loyalty and dedication towards the functioning of business can be analysed and if required proper human resource management techniques can be employed to enhance the level of employees performance.
4.2 Plan and deliver assessment of the development needs of individuals at PM Company
Training is considered as the most important aspect for employee development and growth and through this, employees can be rewarded for better performance (Bose, 2002). It has been observed that PM Company accesses the performance of employees and on that basis, they organize diverse training sessions so that employee learning level can be developed. On the job and off the job are the two most essential categories through which training can be delivered to the employees. Each and every employee at PM Company needs must have to attend training sessions so that they can acquire knowledge regarding diverse aspects about management of work processes (Pors and Johannsen. 2002). This is one such aspect through which employees can be rewarded and through which employees can be appreciated for their job roles.
- Training needs of the individual can be accessed through comparing their performance with the expected objectives. Here in the assessor is required to compare past and expected performance.
- Employee's work should be reviewed on regular basis so that the areas of improvements and modifications can be found out. Hence, accordingly training can be delivered to the employees in respective areas.
- While assessing the training and development needs of employees, the manager must make sure that suitable modes of communication are adopted so that to make the work processes more comprehensive.
- Prior organizing training sessions, it is vital for the trainer to analyze resource requirements because through that, suitable areas can be covered under training sessions.
4.3 Evaluate the success of the assessment process so that PM Company is back on track with high standard of management and leadership performance
- Success aspects will be evaluated on the basis of measuring actual and expected standards and through this comparison, areas of improvements will also be found out.
- Customer feedback will be acquired regarding organizational services; thus the management can take corrective decisions for the areas of improvements.
- Expert advice will be taken into account so that issues related to leadership and management can be resolved (Stirling and Fitzgerald, 2001). At the same time, personal session needs to be conducted with all the employees so that management can identify where further changes should be made.
- Peer advice collection is also one of the prominent methods through which assessment process can be evaluated (Bose, 2002).
- It has been assessed that assessment process that was being implemented by the organization demonstrates success. This has determined that it was reliable in terms that it results in similar outcomes if implemented again.
- It has been examined that there was greater transparency in the assessment process which leads to increase in the outcomes to a significant level.
- The process seems to be beneficial for PM Company because in the initial stages, selected candidates have reached the determined targets.
From the above study, it is evaluated that communication is required at each level as it maintains proper flow of information. Thus, when people work in a team, they get more opportunities to improve the existing communication procedures. With the help of effective communication, employees can achieve effective coordination. Considering leadership aspects, it has been evaluated that leader must have knowledge of all the things so that all the work can be done as soon as possible. Leader must have proper command to language so that he can communicate in the best possible manner.
- Amabile, T., 2003. Motivational synergy: Toward new conceptualizations of intrinsic and extrinsic motivation in the workplace. Human Resource Management Review. 3(3).pp. 185-201.
- Amour, J. and et. al., 2003. Shareholder Primacy and the Trajectory of UK Corporate Governance. British Journal of Industrial Relations. 41(3).pp. 531-555.
- Bose, D.C., 2002. Principles of Management and Administration, PHI Learning Pvt. Ltd.
- Brezina, C, 2008. Great Decision Making Skills, The Rosen Publishing Group.
- Brody, R. 2005. Effectively Managing Human Service Organizations.3rd ed. SAGE.
- Graham, S and March. P. 1994. Negotiating Behaviors in Ten Foreign Cultures.Management Science. 40(1).
- Hayes, N., 2002. Managing Teams: A Strategy for Success. 2nd ed. Cengage Learning EMEA.
- Kimmel, P. 1994. Cultural Perspectives on International Negotiations.Journal of Social Issues. 50(1), PP. 179-196.
- Latham, P. G., 2007. Work Motivation: History, Theory, Research, and Practice. SAGE.
- Lobel, S.A. 1997. In praise of the soft stuff: A vision for human resource leadership. Human Resource Management. 36(1), pp. 135–139.
- Margerison, C., 2009. Team Management: Practical New Approaches to Greatly Improved Results. Global Management Enterprises, LLC.
- Pors, N. and Johannsen. C., 2002. Job satisfaction and motivational strategies among library directors. New Library World. 103(6).pp.199 – 209.
- Stirling, J. and Fitzgerald, I., 2001. European Works Councils: representing workers on the periphery. Employee Relations. 23(1) .pp.13 – 25.
- Waltz, L. R., 2009. Positive Organizational Behavior.Leadership & Organization Development Journal.30(3).pp.297 – 299.
Download Full Sample
Please Enter Bellow Detail to Download
Please enter a valid detail address to download a sample you request.
With years of hard work and dedication, Assignment Desk is now ruling the academic writing industry in the UK. The unmatched services that we provide have helped our customers fulfil their dream of scoring sky-high marks and passing their courses with flying colors. We provide help on a variety of academic papers, such as assignments, theses, dissertations, case studies, research papers, coursework, and more. No matter how complex a topic is, we always compose each paper with extreme precision. And the best part is that we charge an amount that are easy on every student’s pocket!
Most Downloaded Samples