Leadership Style And Behaviour
38556 Downloads 5 Pages 1128 Words
Introduction To Leadership Style
Leadership is refereed as a process, which helps in influencing the behaviour of individuals for the purpose of accomplishing the common goals. According to Northouse, each and every activity of leaders is applicable to the style approach (Northouse, 2010). Attributed from this, the current research paper also examines the multiple cases like “A Drill sergeant at first” and “Eating lunch standing up” in order to increase the comprehension of the multiple uses of the approach. Further, the results of the style questionnaire will also be utilized in this present paper.
Case – 1 “A Drill Sergeant At First”
- From the style perspectives, Marks had a concern both for people and tasks. When he saw that hospital needed a strong change, he started planning out his job and wants his painters to be good at job. Thus, it can be said that earlier he was very task oriented. However, after realizing that the workers are putting their best efforts, he relaxed his style of leadership and become very less demanding. So, it can be said that he was following team management who have an immediate concern for the people and task (Burke & Cooper, 2006).
- He also comprises his style on the basis of the needs of the employees. On realizing that the workers are putting their best efforts in order to complete the set targets, he changes his style of leadership and become very less demanding. He always stayed in touch with the workers and takes a small group of workers to the local sports club. Thus, it can be said that he has concern for both i.e. task and people.
- He is task oriented, but at the same time, he also value people working in his organization.
- Marks will get a score 9, 9 (team management) on Blake and Mouton’s grid.
Case – 2 “Eating Lunch Standing Up”
- As per the style approach, the leadership style of Susan’s is very task oriented and strict. She always emphasize on the concrete objectives and high level of productivity. Relationship with the employees and other aspects were not given any importance by Susan (Northouse, 2012).
- The leadership style of Susan creates a pronounced reaction from her sub-ordinates because she was very organized in work. Further, the sole purpose of Susan for being at the store is to get the job done. She makes the tasks as well as goals of each and every individual very clear, such that after going to home, they realized that they have accomplished something.
- She was very task oriented and has always showed high concern for task only. She never takes breaks and even eats her lunch standing up. In addition to this, she never banters with the workers and as a result, there was not much fun at work (Northouse, 2012). The employees of the company had a mixed reaction to her leadership style and thus, Susan need to change her style of leadership.
Assessing The Leadership Style Using Style Questionnaire
After assessing the leadership style by making use of style questionnaire it was determined that I have high concern for the people and low concern for production. I occasionally define some roles and responsibilities to individuals and I am more concerned about the people, their feelings, needs and well-being. When my leadership style is plotted on “Blake and Mouton managerial grid”, then it falls on country-club management grid.
Using The Result Of Style Questionnaire To Idnetify How I Have Acted Differently Than The Leaders In Each Cases
Articulating in relation with the first case i.e. “A drill sergeant at first”, Marks has both the concern for people and production. He focused primarily on tasks and afterwards realizing the reasonable amount of quality work, he emphasized on people so that they feel motivated and employ their best efforts. As per the result of the style questionnaire, I have acted somewhat differently as compared to Marks.
Implementing The Results Into Sdlp And Other Leadership Growth Plans
From the above analysis, it was explored that my leadership style is more concerned towards people and is low oriented towards production. Because of this, the production always suffers, as there is less direction and control. Thus, For the purpose of implementing the results of my work into SDLP or other leadership growth plans I need to also focus on tasks and production. In other words, I need to lie on “Team leadership” managerial grid, which high concern both for people and production.
There are multitudes of ways, in which the term leadership has been conceptualized; however still there are some components that can be determined as central to the phenomenon (Jung & Avolio, 1999). Some of these elements are leadership is a process, it encompasses influence and finally, it include common goals and objectives. Style approach is something different from the trait approach, as it emphasize on behaviour of the leaders (Northouse, 2012).
Books and journals
- Burke, R. & Cooper, C. (2006). The new world of work and organizations: Implications for human resource management. Human Resource Management Review. 16(2).pp.83-85.
- Jung, D. I. & Avolio, B. J. (1999). Effects of leadership style and follower’s cultural orientation on performance in group and individual task conditions. Academy of Management Journal. 42(2). pp.208-218.
- Lees, T. F. & Mabey, C. (2007). Management and Leadership Development. SAGE.
- Northouse, G. P. (2010). Leadership: Theory and Practice. SAGE.
- Northouse, G. P. (2012). Leadership: Theory and Practice. SAGE.
Download Full Sample
Please Enter Bellow Detail to Download
Please enter a valid detail address to download a sample you request.
With years of hard work and dedication, Assignment Desk is now ruling the academic writing industry in the UK. The unmatched services that we provide have helped our customers fulfil their dream of scoring sky-high marks and passing their courses with flying colors. We provide help on a variety of academic papers, such as assignments, theses, dissertations, case studies, research papers, coursework, and more. No matter how complex a topic is, we always compose each paper with extreme precision. And the best part is that we charge an amount that are easy on every student’s pocket!
Most Downloaded Samples