From the following give answer of any two. Your answer must have a synthesis of recent and seminar academic literature, fully referenced, that are related to the specifics of the questions. Clearly show what you consider to be the importance of each reference and provide a clear summary and conclusion.
- Explain the effect of Brexit in UK’s financial markets? The answer must be critically measure its result over several asset classes and stakeholders.
- “Investment management is in flux, arguably more than it has been in a long time. Active management is under pressure, with investors switching from active to index funds.” Critically examine this declaration by discover how investment management has grown and transformed over the ages and what kind of merchandises will flourish over the next 5-10 years?
- Benjamin Graham, mentor of Warren Buffett, argued that market risk was less important than company specific risk in share valuation and investment management. Judgmentally examine the source and proof for this lookout, and its effects.
Section – B
Answer all the questions in this section
- Compute both modified and Macaulay durations pf the 8-years, a flat yield curve at 10% have 8.5% coupon bond given.
- Describe why zero-coupon bonds have a greater Macaulay duration than coupon paying bonds of the same return.
- Comment the meaning of the following statement:
“The financial markets are markets for loanable funds”
Q3. Consider yourself as a portfolio manager of Belinda and Mike:
- To invest in a fixed-income security Mike, age 35, have 40,000. From past 10 years, he has invested in many types of bonds and consider himself as an aggressive investor, have marginal income tax bracket of 28%. Capital appreciation is his main goal; income is secondary consideration.
- Belinda, age 65, is retiring has 150000 to invest. She is interested in buying fixed income securities to give for her income requirements during retirement. She will not have any another substantial salary, and she will be in the 15% marginal income tax bracket. In past, she has invested in bonds, and plans to be actively involved in this investment.
- You are required to explain with aims that which type of fixed-income security is suitable for Belinda and Mike. (examine marginal tax bracket, term, risk rating, types and other applicable factors).
- For selecting bonds for Belinda’s and Mike’s portfolio, you have to answer the given questions:
- For a client with high risk tolerance, what kind of features would you look in a bond?
- What type of characteristics would you, aspect for in a bond selected for a customer with a moderate risk tolerance?
- A buyer with a low risk tolerance then what variety of features would you look for in a bond preferred for?
- What bond qualities you will look, if you trust that in future the interest rate will drop suddenly?
- In future, you think that interest rates will increase sharply, then what bond features would you examine for?