Internet has connected people and organisation all around the world. It has given advantage to both in organising various campaigns. Digital marketing has given opportunities to companies to target the audience easily and at a fast pace (Chaffey and Ellis-Chadwick, 2016). Without spending unnecessary amount, marketing campaigns are launched by the same. Digital marketing is been highly used in different programs and activities of organisation. In today’s era, the major sector benefited through digital marketing is health and social care. Due to effective marketing, it has improved the living standard of people. This is because of improvement in quality of care services. Apart from this, most of the charity organisations are using digital marketing tools to improve the health services. Charities have provided platform through which people can donate money for good cause (Armstrong, Kotler
Charities are the heart of communities. They work within the range of beneficiaries to provide care. It does not only provide quality care but also contribute towards using resources in an efficient way. It has shifted the focus on identifying causes of problems rather than symptoms. This has resulted in reducing risk of diseases in the future. In recent scenario, economic environment is fluctuating very much (Leeflang, Verhoef and Freundt, 2014). It has allowed organisation to frequently make changes in their strategies. It has led to rise in different challenges such as poverty, global health crisis, rise of new power, etc. It has affected the overall health sector. Besides this, it has resulted in arising various health issues. This has affected the well-being of people to a large extent. Charities are not able to fulfil the needs of people. There is very low generation of money. Third parties are controlling the operations of charity. They are creating errors in donations. There are many practices that has been followed in children charity sector. It ensures that children are given effective care (Tiago and Veríssimo, 2014). Moreover, it helps in providing high quality care service to them.
For overcoming these challenges, charities are using digital marketing for the promotion of good work. It has made communication in between people and organisation easy. By launching different campaigns, charities are able to generate money for good cause. It has also attracted people to work for them. Digital marketing is used by charities to effectively utilise money for people who are not able to get the basic care services (Urban, Gosline and Lee, 2017). Moreover, it has established a link in between people and charity to work for each other. Charities are effectively promoting campaigns through social media. This has reduced their expenses in advertisement. People who really want to donate can directly communicate with charity organisation. This assignment will throw light on charities are using digital marketing. Besides this, what are the strategic options available to charity to improve donor acquisition and retention cost effectively is studied.
Detailed analysis of the best practise in the children charity sector
The charity sector occupies space in between system and beneficiary. It has created a better understanding of needs of people (Thomas and Thomas, 2018). Moreover, charity has allowed health care centres to save money by reinvesting in their procedures to improve the quality of care.
The main purpose of charity is to promote good health. Charity organisation usually works in health and social care. They make sure that people who are not able to get basic care facilities are provided with better quality services. Along with this, charities have expanded their operations from local to national level. It is because of digital marketing. Charities related to children are using several practises to ensure that money used is for good cause (Järvinen and Karjaluoto, 2015).
Charities have developed various strategies for using systematic methods. This has encouraged other organisations to implement those practises. Moreover, it has forced government to develop some policies and procedures that can be followed by them. It has safeguarded the right of people in donating charity. Furthermore, practices have ensured that charity will follow a specific method in business operations (Karjaluoto, Mustonen and Ulkuniemi, 2015) There are many practices that have been followed in the children charity sector. It ensures that children are given effective care. Moreover, it helps in providing high quality care service to them. Practices ensure that charity is performing their operations on basis of methods set. There is no involvement of any illegal activities.
The children charity sector is well established and one of the most vital sector in the social care. The funder, charity builders and philanthropists have to look after the better handling of operations that will help the firm to gain a good knowledge about the operations and benevolent practices that are been taken in consideration for child care and well being (Jackson and Ahuja, 2016). The charity for kid will involve the following of large number of practices that will help the donation firm to provide best of their provided resources. Some major practices that are been taken in consideration by a child care charity sector are as follows:
- Delivering services – This is the most common practise that is being followed in charity. Services are delivered to poor children to fulfil their needs. It has improved the living standards of them ensuring a better future. Services are delivered by identifying their needs.
- Setting up the aims: this involve the researching and identification of target audience that is going to get benefit from philanthropic activities and charity (Royle and Laing, 2014). This will help the charity firm to identify the fields for making investments. Children charity are providing services by setting aims. It has shown how welfare of children can be maintained. Moreover, with this goals are set that focuses on one motive.
- Considering the information in hand and explore for more: the children charity firm will look after the better handling of function that will help in setting up a transparency about usage of the resources that are been implemented in charity purpose, for well being of kids.
These practise followed in children charity has given a chance to organisation to grow and develop. It has allowed children to get access to different services. Apart from this, there has been improvements in service quality. Charities are following a systematic practise. It has enables them to make more contribution in welfare of children. Furthermore, charities are achieving goals and objectives in effective manner. By promoting good health charities are able to collect good amount of money. The resulted obtained from this has provided better quality facilities to people.
Discuss the strategic option available to a charity seeking to improve donor acquisition and retention cost effectively
Charities are playing crucial role in community by communicating information about health service and its importance (De Pelsmacker, van Tilburg and Holthof, 2018). Government has laid down some campaigns on some specific projects related to health care. Besides this, charity is raising knowledge about health risk and conditions. For example- a no smoking campaign was organised by charity to create awareness about risk associated with smoking. Also, they promoted it on social media to attract donors. It was useful in solving health issues. When charity comes in contact with those people they remind them about effect on health due to smoking. Charities works with some special groups who are concerned about health as well (Taiminen and Karjaluoto, 2015). A campaign must consists of goals and main message that shows why campaign was started. It will allow people to engage with charity and donating some money. Moreover, it will be useful in reflecting why charity exists and how it will contribute to health care. Campaign must also target specific audience so that it is easier to reach them. It will also help in providing clear message to them. People will get to know why charity is targetting them and how they can contribute. Digital marketing is used not only in promoting but also in creating awareness about health issue and risks. They work collaborating with groups and organisation. So if once message is reached to intended audience there will be smooth flow of communication between them. While doing digital marketing the content written must be effective. It must be simple and specific (Zettelmeyer and Merkley, 2017). By this people will automatically get attracted towards campaign. Moreover, charity will be able to receive more donation.
Generally, charities in health sector is set to attract people who want to donate for good cause. It sets a platform by which people can easily donate money or other things These donations are used by charity for poor people. They ensure that money is used for good cause. Charities are in direct contact with people and health organisations (Leite and Azevedo, 2017). They work in systematic manner to fulfil needs of people. The main goal and objective of charity is to improve health services by identifying need of resources. Donor acquisition is related to why people stop donating. It helps in finding out reasons why donor supports an organisation rather than a charity. It can be done by doing survey that will give effective outcomes.
Usually, main reason behind donor acquisition is usage of money in illegal things. Also, donating things to other people who give high amount of money in return. Apart from this, rise in illegal selling of things in black has restricted people to donate. It has changed their mind and thinking level (Cole, DeNardin and Clow, 2017). Moreover, it has created a negative impact on the society and people. This is the result why charity has to develop strategic plan to ensure money is being used for good cause only.
Donor acquisition - It means how new donors can be attracted to support. For this charity can make efforts to bring new donors. This can be done by marketing their idea and goals and objective for good cause. Once donor is engaged with charity it is easy to retain them. But efforts are required to gain trust of donor. Apart from this it is important that charity connects to large number of donors in an effective way. Increasing donors will be beneficial for more contribution in health care (Heinze, Fletcher and Cruz, 2016).
Donor Retention- A donor must be retained by charity in order to have continuous contribution. For this charity can use donor life cycle and retention analysis. This process will enable charity to retain donors. In this analysis is done by using past records. Moreover, it will be easy
There are several strategies that can be followed in donor acquisition. It is as follows :-
- Do at least one campaign in year – It is the best way to gain or acquires more donors for charity. In this a campaign can be organised in every year. It will help existing donor to contribute (Jones, Alford and Wolfenden, 2015). Moreover, new donors will get to know about that campaign. For this goals can be set that will set base of campaign.
- Surveying donors- Charity can conduct a survey to identify who are their donors and from what area they belong to. Also, it will help in identifying how much they have contributed. By doing this charity can target specific segment of donors.
- Focusing on social media- Charity can focus on social media to attract donors. This can be done by writing effective content an expanding marketing activities. Also, website traffic can be monitored (Bång and Hell, 2015).
- Peer to peer fundraising campaign- It is a new strategy through which new donors can be gained. By organising campaign functioning can be done. It will help in raising funds for charity.
On the other hand, it is important for charities to retain donors. For this they have to analyse various options that are available. It will help in making donors to stick with charity for long term as a loyal supporter (Kafman and Horton, 2014). Furthermore, retention of donor will ensure growth of charity. Operation can be expanded in various fields. The strategies that can be followed are as follows :-
- Gratitude – Expressing thanks and gratitude to donors can help in retaining them. Also, they can be treated with respect whenever they visit charity or any campaign. Besides this, improving donation acknowledgement can be done by focusing on promptness and authenticity. Saying thanks to donors as soon as possible will help in retaining them.
- Keeping donors in loop – in this charity can keep records of where donations are used and how it has helped community. These reports can be published with donor name. It will help in recognition of donors (Lobstein, Thornton and Jernigan, 2017)
- Supporting organisation without donating – It is not necessary that donors always have to donate they can also support charity in different campaigns. This will help in making strong relationship with donor. Creating opportunities will encourage donor to support more for charity.
- Donor management software- A software can be developed in which details and information of all donors are entered. It will help in providing effective data and developing strategies (Chester and Montgomery, 2017). It will maintain all action of donor such as amounts, how long they are involved with organisation , etc.
- Social media- This is the cheap and effective way to retain donors. It can be used to maintain personal relations with donors. Charity or campaigns updates can be provided to them. This reflects how much organisation care about donors.
- Peer to peer fundraising campaign- It is a new strategy through which new donors can be gained. By organising campaign functioning can be done. It will help in raising funds for charity.
Thus, by following these strategies' charity organisation can acquire and retain donors. It will help in providing more donations to charity (Chaffey and Ellis-Chadwick, 2016). With this contributed can be increase in good work or health care. Due to this charity have to spend low amount of attracting more donors. They have to spent less on marketing of their campaigns . Also, by using digital marketing charity can attract large number of people. It is effective and cheap method of promotion. Charity expenses will be reduced leading to more contribution. Furthermore, it will make it eligible to donors to get involved in charity. Those areas can be focused that needs improvements. For example- operations, improving health facilities, etc. This will overall improve living standard of society (Armstrong, Kotler and Brennan, 2015). Charity can expand their operations in different market. It can start contributing in other areas as well. This will lead to improving community lifestyle. If donors are retained, it will create a distinct image in society. Other people will be encouraged by this. They will also start giving donations to improve health care. Other than this, poor people will get benefit of this. The life of this section of community will be enhanced (Leeflang, Verhoef and Freundt, 2014). There will be advancement of facilities for poor people.
Concept of digital fundraising –Using digital technology in charities has generated a new area of raising funds. It has created opportunities for people to use techniques like crowdfunding and giving days. It has embraced wealth through digital fundraising. Charities are highly using this to increase donor acquisition as well as retention. These are the best channel to improve it. It has also helped in raising huge funds and donation (Tiago and Veríssimo, 2014) Giving days are normal in institutions and crowdfunding has attracted employees in many colleges and universities. Low cost ads given on networking sites such as Facebook and Instagram has resulted in generation of huge money. Crowdfunding is mostly used for specific projects. It has allowed people to know objective for cause so that they can also contribute in it. Project crowdfunding is performed very well by organisation to collect donations. Non profits organisation, educational institutions, etc. care using this for their personal approach.
But major problem in digital fundraising is that it has provided number of channels and options to vendors. It has created multi channels (Urban, Gosline and Lee, 2017). Thus, organisation have to develop strategies to reduce gap which is been created to gain trust of people through integrated approach. Technology is been used to improve this. Along with this, time taken to manage activities to launch project and overall crowdfunding has increased. This has made it difficult to take initiative for such events. Digital fundraising has resulted in amount of cyber crimes and frauds. It has given opportunity to hackers to interfere between transactions. Data and information of donors is used by hackers for financial benefits. Therefore, charities are working together to minimise risk of cyber crime. It has improved efficiency of working and allowed donors to build trust on them. Furthermore, charities are able to attract donors by retaining them (Thomas and Thomas, 2018). This has benefited both donors and charity. Retention of donor has been raised by using digital marketing. It has created a feeling among them to believe that charity will be using donation for good cause. Digital fundraising has created platform for all donors to donate. It has made the entire functioning of charity donation easy and simple.
Opportunities in digital marketing – The area on marketing has increase by promoting products and services through digital media. It has allowed business to expand their areas to attract more people (Karjaluoto, Mustonen and Ulkuniemi, 2015) Digital media comprises several activities that is done to promote products. It has created a significant impact on customer mind about different types of products. Business can grow and develop rapidly by using this. Health care sector is benefited by this as people are aware of basic facilities that exists. Due to this it has forced organisation to improve service quality. Furthermore, it has enables poor people to get those basic services. Other than this, digital marketing has contributed in growth and development of country. Business are setting their own information technology infrastructure to strengthen digitalisation. Through this they are able to effective marketing of services. It has resulted in creating awareness in people.
The advantage is people who want to donate can contact charity directly. They can donate it from anywhere, anytime by using digital fundraising (Jackson and Ahuja, 2016). It has also helped business to make run their own charity programs. There has been increase in corporate social responsibility as business is making efforts to develop weaker section of society. This is done by fulfilling their basic amenities and needs. The overall impact of this is on business and people. It has influenced their decision making process. Customer satisfaction level has increased as their demands are fulfilled on time. Due to frequent change in taste and preference of customers business is developing variety of products.
The concept of digital fundraising has improved donor engagement. Due to this funds of $3.72 millions have raised just by 1300 donors. It has also increased traffic on social media. Millions of people revolve around Facebook and Instagram posts (Järvinen and Karjaluoto, 2015). Campaigns started have become successful. Events such as giving day is mostly used. It was evaluated that 50 % of gifts of almost $200- $10000 were received. People are getting excited for providing more support in health care. It is expected that charity organisation are effectively using digital marketing in their campaigns. Through this they ha gained trust of donors. Also, it has motivated other organisation to use this form so that overall heath care quality can be improved by making huge contributions.
Hence, it is cleared that using digital media in charity has been successful. It has given positive results (Urban, Gosline and Lee, 2017) Campaigns are being promoted through this that has attracted large number of people to contribute towards society. The health and social care has enhanced life of people. People have understood the need of good health. Those who are not able to get basic services are being approached. The charity amount is used in right way and for good cause. This has created positive image of charities in society. Government is helping them by giving financial support. It has reduced expenses of charity. Also, several groups are supporting in marketing of campaigns.
From this assignment it is concluded that charities are using digital marketing tools to attract large number of people. The charity sector occupies space between system and beneficiary. It has created a better understanding of needs of people. The main purpose of charity is to promote good health. Charity organisation usually works in health and social care. Generally, charities in health sector is set to attract people who wants to donate for good cause. It sets a platform by which people can easily donate money. Using digital technology in charities has generated a new area of raising funds. Generally, charities in health sector is set to attract people who wants to donate for good cause. It sets a platform by which people can easily donate money or other things to people. Donor acquisition and retention is important as it will allow charity to increase their contribution in health sector.
Using digital technology in charities has generated a new area of raising funds. It has created opportunities for people to use techniques like crowdfunding and giving days. It has embraced wealth through digital fundraising. Charity can develop different strategies for donor acquisition and retention. It will be beneficial in making loyal supporters for campaign. This will bring in more funds and fulfilling people needs. Moreover, charity needs to focus on needs. A major problem that has arise in digital fundraising is that it has provided number of channels and options to vendors. It has created multi channels. These practise followed in children charity has given a chance to organisation to grow and develop
The concept of digital fundraising has improved donor engagement. Due to this funds of $3.72 millions have raised just by 1300 donors. It has also increased traffic on social media. Millions of people revolve around Facebook and Instagram posts. Campaigns started have become successful. Events such as giving day is mostly used. It was evaluated that 50 % of gifts of almost $200- $10000 were received. People are getting excited for providing more support in health care.
There are many practices that has been followed in children charity sector. It ensures that children are given effective care. Moreover, it helps in providing high quality care service to them. Practices ensure that charity is performing their operations on basis of methods set. There is no involvement of any illegal activities. Digital fundraising has created risk of cyber crimes. But also there has been increase in funds. This is because of using digital marketing in campaigns. It has attracted large number of people to contribute for good cause. Also, charity goals are specific. Effective content has been written in promotion of campaigns. Digital marketing has allowed people to donate by using digital fundraising. It has also helped business to make run their own charity programs.
- Armstrong, G., Kotler, P., and Brennan, R., 2015. Marketing: an introduction. Pearson Education.
- Bång, A. and Hell, J., 2015. Digital Marketing Strategy: Social media and its contribution to competitiveness.
- Chaffey, D. and Ellis-Chadwick, F., 2016. Digital marketing. Prentice Hall.
- Chester, J. and Montgomery, K., 2017. The role of digital marketing in political campaigns. Internet Policy Review, 6(4).
- Cole, H.S., DeNardin, T. and Clow, K.E., 2017. Small Service Businesses: Advertising Attitudes and The Use of Digital and Social Media Marketing. Services Marketing Quarterly, 38(4), pp.203-212.
- De Pelsmacker, P., van Tilburg, S. and Holthof, C., 2018. Digital marketing strategies, online reviews and hotel performance. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 72, pp.47-55.
- Heinze, A., Fletcher, G., and Cruz, A. eds., 2016. Digital and Social Media Marketing: A Results-driven Approach. Taylor & Francis.
- Jackson, G. and Ahuja, V., 2016. Dawn of the digital age and the evolution of the marketing mix. Journal of Direct, Data and Digital Marketing Practice, 17(3), pp.170-186.
- Järvinen, J. and Karjaluoto, H., 2015. The use of Web analytics for digital marketing performance measurement. Industrial Marketing Management, 50, pp.117-127.
- Jones, R., Alford, P. and Wolfenden, S., 2015. Entrepreneurial marketing in the digital age: A study of the SME tourism industry.
- Karjaluoto, H., Mustonen, N. and Ulkuniemi, P., 2015. The role of digital channels in industrial marketing communications. Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing, 30(6), pp.703-710.
- Kaufman, I. and Horton, C., 2014. Digital marketing: Integrating strategy and tactics with values, a guidebook for executives, managers, and students. Routledge.
- Leeflang, P.S., Verhoef, P.C. and Freundt, T., 2014. Challenges and solutions for marketing in a digital era. European management journal, 32(1), pp.1-12.
- Leite, R.A. and Azevedo, A., 2017. The Role of Digital Marketing: A perspective from Porto Hotels’ Managers. International Journal of Marketing, Communication and New Media, (2).
- Lobstein, T., Thornton, N. and Jernigan, D., 2017. The commercial use of digital media to market alcohol products: a narrative review. Addiction, 112(S1), pp.21-27.
- Royle, J. and Laing, A., 2014. The digital marketing skills gap: Developing a Digital Marketer Model for the communication industries. International Journal of Information Management, 34(2), pp.65-73.
- Taiminen, H.M. and Karjaluoto, H., 2015. The usage of digital marketing channels in SMEs. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 22(4), pp.633-651