Management and operation are major aspects of business organisation. Coordination between management and operations of business organisation ensure the success of organisation.
Efficiency and effectiveness of operations in an business organisation is purely depends on action and strategies of management. This report exhibits role of managers and leaders in the organization which assists in enhancement of efficiency and effectiveness of various operations and task within the entity. This report describes in the context of Toyota Plc, a Japanese company dealing in the auto-mobile sector, differences between management and leadership, key operational functions, key operational approaches, impact of external business environment factors and strengths and weaknesses of different approaches to leadership.
1. Overview and management structure of company:
Toyota Motor Corporation is Japanese company and by volume it is world’s largest auto maker. Toyota is mainly engaged in manufacturing and sell of vehicles and motor parts in various countries. Presently company is operating its business globally with approx 53 overseas manufacturing companies in 28 countries and regions selling vehicle in approx more than 170 countries and regions.
Toyota has large range of activities related with manufacturing and sell of vehicle, to manage all these different segments divided as per activities company follows divisional management structure. Toyota also has a centralized global chain and headquarters of company in Japan is responsible for all the major decisions. Generally divisions are not allowed to
communicate with each other and significant communications are routed through headquarters which creates a systematic centralised control over the all divisions and segments.
2. Definition and roles of both managers and leaders, highlighting the differences between management and leadership:
Managers: Managers are individuals who are responsible for supervising, controlling and managing other staff or individual projects in an business organisation. Managers are the persons in an organization who design and manage the work of an organization in the direction of the pre-determined goals and objective of the company. In order to accomplish a particular task and objectives efficiently, Managers farms strategies and policies and to manage the workings of staff and employees, a systematic schedule is prepared by managers in Toyota. Following are the major role of managers, as follows:
- In Toyota, managers plays a significant role in determination of objectives and goals of the company while considering recent market trends, scenario and competitive advantages & disadvantages.
- Managers acts a chain of communication of policies and direction between employees and top management.
- Managers develops new approaches, ideas and initiates new process for enhancement of performance of business organisation.
- Managers promotes the employee friendly environment in order to increase capabilities of employees in Toyota.
Leaders: Leaders are individual who develops a long term visions and motivate others in business organisation to achieve them while building a team spirit. The main objective of leaders in Toyota is to lead and encourages employees in order to enhance efficiency and productivity of their performance. Following are the significant roles of leaders, as follows:
- Leaders have a vital role in motivating individuals in organisation to accomplish goals and objectives determined by organisation.
- Leaders gives directions in order to communicate and influence individuals in organisation to do activities and tasks according to specific policies of organisation.
- In Toyota Leaders solve out the issues or problems of individuals and obtain feedback of customers to address them.
Difference between management and leadership:
Leadership refers to competence of leader to inspire individuals in organisation in order to enhance their performance, capabilities and efforts to achieve objectives.
Management refers to set of activities relating to planning, coordinating, managing and directing of business in order to achieve particular objectives.
In leadership main role of leader is to encourage and motivate individuals in organisation to achieve desired goals and objectives.
In Management process primary role of managers is to organise activities in way to enhance performance of organisation.
Main focus is towards motivating individuals.
Main focus is towards making coordination among different activities in Toyota.
Therefore individuals engaged in leadership and management of Toyota should continuously try to achieve objectives and goals of company and put their maximum efforts towards this so that a sustainability in growth and performance can be achieved.
3. Analysis of the different roles of management and leadership in application to different organisational situations
Different roles of management and leadership are helpful of organisation to face different organisational situations that creates difficulties in day to day business of organisation. Following points will helps to analyse different roles of management and leadership in application to different organisational situations in the context of Toyota, as follows:
- In case of strike of labours in Toyota, a situation of monetary loss due to delayed service to clients or to lost production time. In this situation management can organise supply of vehicles and spare parts in a systematic way to avoid any monetary loss and leader will motivates and encourage labours to break strike or provides a way to solve out issues of labours.
- One major situation may arise in company is decreasing sales of a particular product or quality concerns about a particular product. In this situation management can conduct survey and analysis to identify main reason for decreasing sales or poor quality and organise activities or develop strategy to short out these issues, on other hand leaders by collecting feedback of customers and workers, provides helps to management and ensure them to solve out these identified issues.
- In Toyota one significant situation appeared that efficiency of production is below the standards. In this situation management by creating scheduled task and activities or by defining responsibilities of individual in organisation can increase the efficiency of production and leaders by initiating different appraisal programs can increase the efficiency of production in Toyota.
4. Strengths and weaknesses of different approaches to leadership and management:
Following are the different approaches to leadership and management along with their strengths and weaknesses, as follows:
This theory of leadership refers that manager or leader within an organisation should adjust their style of management and leadership to achieve the development level of the followers he is trying to influence. In this context, in Toyota sometimes managers and leaders modifies their styles to maintain sustainability. This is an adaptive style of l