Assessment Case Study – The Imperial Hotel, London
Case Study – The Imperial Hotel, London
Imperial Hotel is a UK based hotel sited in London. In this hotel, there are 500 bedrooms, that is managed and owned part of a well-known branded chain of the hotels within 4-star market- start hotel that operate 25 hotels within heart of London’s West End, cater for the international business and other tourist’s visitors who expect the standard services.
Imperial Hotel provide services:
- Conference facilities for around 1,000 people
- 500 bedrooms with end-suite facilities.
- Leisure centre with the swimming pool
- 12 conference rooms
- 4 restaurants and 3 Bars
- 6 departments head: Housekeeping; Food and Beverage; Guest Services & Concierge; Human Resources & training and Front of House & Reception/
- Outside contractors (for laundry services; specialist cleaning and management of the leisure centre;)
- Total staff of 450 (300 full-time and part-time)
Planned Strategy for Resolving the Problems in the Hotel
- Problem 1: Poor visitor satisfaction
- Problem 2: High rate of the staff turnover with 80% of staff leaving within a year
- Problem 3: Negative work culture amongst the workforce with high levels of sick leave and poor attendance
- Problem 4: Front of the house staff (Reception, Conference & Banqueting, and Restaurant & Bars)– poor team working and inefficient use of IT systems including the reservation and property management systems
- Problem 5: Back of the house staff (Maintenance, Housekeeping, Kitchen) – poor operating and control process in place with the stock being regularly pilfered and evidence of workforce not meeting basic Standard Operating Procedures (SOPS) resulting in unusually high operating costs
Problem 1: Poor visitor satisfaction
Customer are not satisfied with the services of respective hotel as they face many problems during check in and check out. Its employees behave very rudely to its customer due to which customer get a negative experience.
Problem 2: High rate of the staff turnover with 80% of staff leaving within a year
As company is not providing the training facilities to its employees due to which they are not able to develop themselves. Another major cause of the staff turnover is that company does not offer the promotional opportunity to its employees.
Problem 3: Negative work culture amongst the workforce with high levels of sick leave and poor attendance
As the respective hotel is not proving a a supporting working environment due to which it creates negative work culture. Company is not facilitating the sick leaves to its employees that create negative thoughts among them.
Problem 4: Front of the house staff (Reception, Conference & Banqueting, and Restaurant & Bars)
As there are always a situation of conflict within respective hotel due to which staff could perform their work properly. For instance, its reception department failed to inform Housekeeping about early and late arrivals and subsequently rooms have not been cleaned timely with guests having to wait for long periods to get their room keys.
Problem 5: Back of the house staff (Maintenance, Housekeeping, Kitchen)
Staffing the Housekeeping Department at Imperial hotel is always a challenge. As there is no proper cleaning within this hotel. Due to this guest faces many problems. This hotel does not provide the staff accommodation.