Bernard Ebbers was CEO of WorldCom which is telecommunication company. He was running organisation with help of 4-5 people. He done more than 70 mergers and acquisitions. Unethical practices was done by him to gain success and growth at marketplace. From above case study it has been analysed that Bernard is using Bureaucratic style of leadership which means manager has to mange entire things and entire work complete as per specified process. This has been observed that entire power was in the hands of top authorities. Another people added after acquisitions and they examined that they are not having a proper structure for doing business or persons are not much professional. They claimed that organisation is like a start- up (
From case study, this has been analysed that Ebbers influencing power was much effective; therefore, he will easily convince others to do work. In this manner, he told his managers and staff members if they adopt any unethical practice then, this will aid them to gain better or positive outcome. As he had much leadership and convincing abilities so he easily influenced others to embrace unethical practices. In the meetings, he utilized many philosophies which help to influence subordinates. He told others, if they do work according to him then, this assists to reduce cost.
Ebbers's leadership style is linked with motivational theory. He knew that right factor which can influence employees (Tavender and et. al., 2015). He knew that some employees get motivated by earning more more so their basic needs can be met while other get motivated by getting promotions and awards. When a leader has bureaucratic leadership style then he/she do not have much control on others working. In present case, Ebber failed to control unethical behaviour of employees which lead of greater problems at the end.
Ebber adopted the transformational leadership style where individual and subordinates raise each other so that they could gain better return. This leadership style define and enable the manager s to take decision on their behalf. Thus, their values define that risk need to be carried down recklessly without thinking twice. Thus, key managers used to take decision by their won which define the chances and options of such accounting fraud. Although, key ethical managers perform their roles and responsibilities properly at WorldCom where all goals and targets could be accomplish on time. This was the major reason behind company success and sustainability which promote and support better return.
Certain number of characteristics which need at the time of working for managing diverse number of things are define as follow:
- Perceived fairness where leaders and managers have to define things properly and in fair format so that they could determine the better and effective outcome.
- Trust in supervisor stated that subordinates have to maintain an appropriate and suitable trust on each and every individual which facilitate in defining the things properly and effectively (Burrell and Morgan, 2017).
Yes, Ebber opt these characteristics at workplace of WorldCom which enable them in deriving better and effective outcome. Although such aspects enable in define that subordinates have faith on their supervisor so that better return could be define.
- Burrell, G., & Morgan, G. (2017). Sociological paradigms and organisational analysis: Elements of the sociology of corporate life. Routledge.
- Tavender, E. J. & et. al. (2015). Developing a targeted, theory-informed implementation intervention using two theoretical frameworks to address health professional and organisational factors: a case study to improve the management of mild traumatic brain injury in the emergency department. Implementation Science, 10(1), 74.
- Trevino, L. & Brown, M. (2005). The Role of Leaders in Influencing Unethical Behavior in the Workplace. In R.E. Kidwell and C.L. Martin (Eds.) Managing Organizational Deviance (pp. 69-96). California: Sage Publications.