Human Resource Management is determined as a strategic approach to effective management of employees within an organization so that they assist businesses in gaining a competitive advantage in the market. Overall purpose of HR department is to ensure that enterprise is able to attain success through people. In the present assignment, the given organization is Liverpool Victoria which is the largest insurance company in the United Kingdom that offers a de range of products (from life insurance to retirement and investment solutions) to customers. This report covers purpose and scope of HRM in terms of resourcing a firm with skills and talent to attain business objectives. It also includes effectiveness of key elements of human resource management as well as internal and external factors are analysed that affects decision making of firm. At last, employment legislations, their significance, nd the action of HRM practices in work-related context is
Purpose and Scope of human resource management
HRM is an essential process which includes orienting and training, evaluating performance, providing incentives and benefits, communicating with entire workers at all levels. It is important for the company to reduce employees turnover as well as gain competitive advantages. There are some functions of HRM which is follow by the HR department of Victoria Liverpool. These functions are explain as below:
Managerial Functions:In a company, manager has different role and managerial functions including planning, directing, controlling and organizing. Planning is supports in identifying the goal and objectives of an enterprise and recognise the procedures and policies in order to reach those goals and targets.
Operative Function: There are various operative functions such as development, employment, integration, compensation and maintenance of workers in an enterprise. Employment covers placement, selection, recruitment and many other. Compensation covers monetary and non-monetary system. In case of development that includes training programs which help entire workforce to maximise their skills and knowledge.
Selection and recruitment:It is another important function which is performed by the manager in respect to organise interview so that the knowledgeable candidate can be recruited for performing the particular operation. HR departments needs to evaluate the performance of candidates at the period of following and then chose the talented from them to increase the performance and profitability of Victoria Liverpool in order to fulfil entire needs and wants of customers.
Purpose of Human resource management: Main and foremost purpose of HRM is to recruit and select knowledgeable and talented candidates from large number of pool. There are some purpose of HRM which are determined as below:
Improve productivity: HRM is identify as an effective and significant process which support the business manager to improve productivity and performance of organisation. In this administrator of the Victoria Liverpool provide training and development program to their all workforce. It support them to maximise their knowledge base and skills as well as easily deal with hard situation effectively.
Improve quality of life or work:In order to improve work or life quality, human resource manager of the company play vital and effective role by avoiding micromanaging, recognizing good work, improving employee productivity and many other. It help the business entity to maximise their reputation in marketplace.
Application to workforce Planning and resourcing in the organisation : It is a continual process that used to align the requirements and priorities of the enterprise with those of its employees to see it can meet its production, services, regulatory and legislative needs and organisational objectives. It help the business to maximise their turnover and attain long term goals and objectives of company in given time period. There are certain benefits of this which are explain as below:
- Apply a workforce planning program that assist financial objectives and future business plans.
- Effectively manage and forecast your workforce headcount, annual labour costs and job families.
- Systematically plan as well as address future accomplishment and resourcing priorities
- Create talent management programs and succession planning that modify bench-strength
- Determine and pro-actively code long-term manpower composition and demographic challenges
Different approaches and recruitment and selection: There are some methods of recruitment and selection and their strength and weakness are determined as below:
Internal source: Under this, suitable candidate is found within the organization only via promotion, transfer etc. Following are the strength and weakness of this approach:-
External Source: In this method, suitable employees are selected from outside the company mainly through direct recruitment, walk-ins, employment exchange programme, advertisement, factory gates etc.
It is the responsibility of human resource professionals to manage the human capital of the company and emphasize executing policies & processes.
Significance of employee relation:
Employee Relation can be define as the relationship that exist between employee and employer. Employees are those people who exceptionally contributes in achievement of firm, without them, no organization will get achievement. Thus, it is essential for manager to keep up sound relationship among management and workforce. Great worker relationship guarantees solid work environment and fulfilled workforce. Some of its benefits are listed below:-
- The interest of employees in exercises of firm is maximised. As a results all business activities of Liverpool Victoria will be carried out in an effective manner.
- It ensure growth and sustainability of firm go longer period of time.
- Help company in attaining high competitive edge.
- Firm should take normal input from their labourers in regards to their work with the goal that upgrades can be made if required.
Key elements of employment legislation:
Their are different enactments made by government which characterizes rights and obligations of business and in addition worker. These directions helps with characterizing relationship among them and duties of labor at work environment. Key components of work enactment are as per the following:
Benefits of HRM practices for both employee and employer
The process of controlling and managing people in a business enterprise in a structured and thorough manner is termed as Human Resource Management. This include providing training & development, setting of pay and perks, retention of people, performance management etc. Such practices not only provide benefit to employee but also provide extensive advantage to employer as well. Discussed below are some common practices of HRM adopted by Victoria Liverpool that gives vast benefit to both employee-employer are listed below:
Benefit to Employee:
- Developing Employees: HRM practices provide satisfaction to employees & inspire them to contribute effectively towards intellectual assets of the company. Knowledge and skills of personnel leads to increase competitive advantage of Victoria Liverpool. Adequate resources are provided by company to its employees for giving them higher training and education and chances to utilise and share knowledge.
- Motivating Workers:The prime responsibility of HR manager is to improve employee performance. Chances of generating higher profitability ratio increases when employees are motivated and their work or contribution is valued by company.
Benefit to Employer:
- Training and Development: This HRM practice not only help employee but also play significant role in improving overall performance and productivity of employer. It has been believed that if manpower is skilled they are able to achieve organizational goals and objective in more better & effective manner. This will ultimately leads employer towards high growth and success and administer competitive advantage in the market.
- Building a healthy and positive workplace: Work environment of any company is directly proportional to employee performance. Workers feel motivated when they work in healthy and positive environment. Unhealthy workplace surrounding cause negative impact on personnel productivity.
Effectiveness of different HRM practices in terms of raising organizational productivity and profit
- Innovative and High Performing Employees: Victoria Liverpool promotes an innovative work environment and motivates their workers by providing them better facilities which ultimately leads to improving overall productivity of workers. With effective and efficient manpower, the company can maximize its revenues and attain a high competitive edge in the market.
- Effective rewards drive performance: Performance of an employee is directly tied with monetary rewards. Worker gets motivated when management value their work and in return, provide fair compensation and benefits on the basis of their performance. Effective rewards help in retaining employees for the longer time period and also encourage them to work incredibly hard towards achieving business goals and generating higher revenues.
Get dissertation help from our experts!
As per the above-mentioned report, it has been concluded that HRM is a strategic approach in which effective management of manpower is done so that business enables to gain competitive advantage. Various functions and purposes are associated with human resource department such as hiring, training and development, employee compensation, performance appraisal etc. The main motive of performing all these functions is to motivate the workforce and encourage them to perform well so that the objectives of the company can be accomplished in a successful manner. Internal and external approaches are used by firm for recruiting and selecting competent and skilled candidates that helps in increasing its profitability & performance. Good employee relation assists in increasing engagement of manpower in activities and operations of company. Application of HRM practices provides various benefits of both employer and workforce in terms of improving performance, high level of satisfaction, conflicts resolution etc.
You may also like: Developing Individual, Teams, and Organisations