Within the organization, there are different types of issues that are faced. It is important to make sure that management understand the problems and steps are taken so healthy environment can be developed. In accordance with the case selected Joseph is a security administrator of a company that has more than 500 employees. Manager has given the task to provide weekly reports to show that web pages that has been accessed by individual employees. Joseph has proper knowledge that employees that they are not asked to sign any agreement to provide information regarding the web pages that they should use. Further, he also knows that workers may be penalised. The discussion will take place in considering the ethical dilemma faced by Joseph and potential outcomes
ACS Code of Ethics and ACS Code of Professional Conduct
There are different type of Ethical and professional conducts that are required to be followed so that the rate of support from the side of workers is high. With this respect, below given are three values from ACS Code of Ethics:
Enhancement of quality of Life: It is essential that interest of public to be placed higher importance when compared with personal, sectional and business interest. 5 clauses from the ACS Code of Professional Conduct:
- Protection and promotion towards health and safety to those who get affected by the work (Benn, Edwards and Williams, 2014).
- Perception of those due to which work gets affected.
- Focusing on to increase the feelings of personal satisfaction.
- Enhancing quality of life
- Supporting people with disabilities.
Honesty: It requires to be honest towards representation of skills, services, knowledge and products. 5 clauses from the ACS Code of Professional Conduct:
- Distinguishing between personal and professional opinion and advice
- Qualifying professional opinion.
- Giving credit to work done by others
- Not attempting to raise once on reputation.
- Giving realistic estimates for projects under control (Moore, 2014).
Professional development: Need to be focused on enhancing the professional development and in supporting the staff and colleagues. 5 clauses from the ACS Code of Professional Conduct:
- Continues up gradation of knowledge and skills.
- Raising awareness of issues that affect the professional and relationship with public.
- Encouraging employees to develop their skills
- Supporting education, professional development and training.
- Focusing on carrier path.
Computer, when it is the proper to organization, then it is important to make sure that it is used only for business purposes. On the whole, it is the right of employers to make sure that property of company like cell phones, computer, internet, etc. are monitored. It was in the year 2005 when the Workplace Surveillance Act 2005 came (Barratt, Cakic and Lenton, 2013). This is an act that tracks down video and computer surveillance that also consists of access to internet and emails. Apart from this, it also includes The Commonwealth Privacy Amendment Act 2000 but it includes an exemption for employee records. Further, it is important that proper information is provided in which workers are conveyed regarding that mails will be monitored.
Analysis, discussion and recommendations should use the framework
As per the scenario, it is important to make sure that proper focus is required to be made in which all the information regarding the privacy is needed to be conveyed. When these are done, then people get to know that aspects that they should consider. In accordance with the Chris MacDonald below given are the steps that should be considered:
- Getting employees involved: all the individuals who will be guided by the code should have proper understanding of the codes so that they understand the consequences when these are not followed (Barratt, Cakic and Lenton, 2013).
- Consulting key stakeholders: When key stakeholders are involved, then it becomes favourable enough to make sure that all the involved and if any of employees make use of the internet for their own purpose, then serious actions will be taken.
- Conveying information initially: Information related with the policies should be conveyed so that employees are well informed regarding the laws or policies that should not be broken.
- Plan for education: When individuals working with the firm do not have proper understanding about the laws or policies. With this respect, Joseph should send the report each week and then individuals who are found conducting any type of unethical act. Further, it is based on the decision that is taken by manager for the employees whose name is identified. When this act is taken, then it will also increase the productivity in positive direction.
It is the responsibility of Joseph to make sure that employees use internet or any other property of the company is not used for personal use. The report asked by manager should be provided and initially it should be informed to workers.
- Barratt, M. J., Cakic, V. and Lenton, S., 2013. Patterns of synthetic cannabinoid use in Australia. Drug and alcohol review, 32(2), pp.141-146.
- Benn, S., Edwards, M. and Williams, T., 2014. Organizational change for corporate sustainability. Routledge.
- Moore, R., 2014. Cybercrime: Investigating high-technology computer crime. Routledge.